The Designer Toy Awards are back! Yeah, it feels like two minutes since the 2016 winners were being announced. There is a reason for this. In previous years the DTA Ceremony took place during NYCC. However, in 2017 with the arrival of the Five Points Festival in NYC, hosted by Clutter Magazine. With Clutter also hosting the Designer Toy Awards, it makes sense that the DTA’s take place during Five Points! The DTA’s are a special time for all involved in the Designer Toy community. We are going to go through each category, and let you know the finalists for each. These finalists are based on public nominations, followed up by a Nomination Panel choosing the final nine. The winner will be chosen by the DTA Finalists Panel (see HERE for details on the panel) and announced at the Live ceremony on Friday 19th May at Five Points Festival.
Whether a production platform or customised toy series, this category acknowledges excellence in conceptually linked figures that have been produced in multiple quantities. Aspects considered in judging include quality of manufacturing, design, packaging, and even innovative use of thematic series elements.
• Released series must be a brand new Designer Toy(s), or a significantly modified version of a previous release(s), debuted last year; significant modification includes differing paint schemes, such as a Dunny series would have.
• Released series must have been branded as a series, even if each piece was available individually.
• All figures in the series must have been released simultaneously.
• The series must consist of at least three (3) figures, whether uniquely designed or variations of one another.
• Custom series are acceptable, as long as the majority of designs in the series were available in quantities greater than one.
Congratulations to this year’s finalists in the Best Mini-Series category…